Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP)
As you prepare for hurricane season or other disasters, make pre-applying for Disaster Food Stamps part of your plan. If you think your household could be impacted by damages or lost wages due to a hurricane or other diaster, pre-apply online or by phone for Diaster Food stamps. Diaster Food Stamps provide eligible low- to moderate-income households - who do not normally receive Food Stamp benefits - with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.
How to Pre-Apply:
- Visit www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/preapply or call 1-888-LAHELP-U
- Provide the following information:
- Names, Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth for each household member
- Address and Parish where you currently live
- Monthly income for each household member
- All liquid resources for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings and money market account balances and certificates of deposit)
- After an emergency, visit a Disaster Food Stamp site to verify your information and identity and receive your benefit card if you qualify.
Pre-applying before a hurricane or other disaster strikes is important, as you may not have access to the required household and income information following a disaster or evacuation.
If you already receive Food Stamps and are eligible for disaster benfits, you do not need to pre-apply, as benefits will be added to your benefit card automatically.
Pre-applying does not guarantee benefits. Disaster Food Stamps are only administered after a federally declared disaster and after the state receives approval from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Services to activiate a Disaster Food Stamp program.
After a disaster is declared, residents who have pre-applied only need to visit a Disaster Food Stamps issuance site to verify their information and identity, determine final eligibility and receive their benefit cards. Eligibility requirements and Disaster Food Stamp Program locations will be announced at the time of a disaster.
You may name an Authorized Representative to go to a Disaster Food Stamp site on your behalf. Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times.