Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP)
As you prepare for hurricane season or other disasters, make pre-applying for Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program part of your plan. If you think your household could be impacted by damages or lost wages due to a hurricane or other diaster, pre-apply online or by phone for DSNAP. DSNAP provides eligible low- to moderate-income households - who do not normally receive SNAP benefits - with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.
How to Pre-Apply:
- Visit www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/preapply or call 1-888-LAHELP-U
- Provide the following information:
- Names, Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth for each household member
- Address and Parish where you currently live
- Monthly income for each household member
- All liquid resources for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings and money market account balances and certificates of deposit)
- After an emergency, visit a DSNAP site to verify your information and identity and receive your benefit card if you qualify.
Pre-applying before a hurricane or other disaster strikes is important, as you may not have access to the required household and income information following a disaster or evacuation.
If you already receive SNAP benefits and are eligible for disaster benefits, you do not need to pre-apply, as benefits will be added to your benefit card automatically.
Pre-applying does not guarantee benefits. DSNAP is only administered after a federally declared disaster and after the state receives approval from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Services to activiate DSNAP services.
After a disaster is declared, residents who have pre-applied only need to visit a DSNAP issuance site to verify their information and identity, determine final eligibility and receive their benefit cards. Eligibility requirements and DSNAP locations will be announced at the time of a disaster.
You may name an Authorized Representative to go to a DSNAP site on your behalf. Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times.